Login Register

Nine-man Gillingham Town left fuming by referee's impact on loss

By Western Gazette - North Dorset  |  Posted: September 20, 2012

UNLIKELY RED: Gillingham Town hot shot Lee Gale was sent off for two bookable offences in their 5-0 FA Vase defeat to Street on Saturday. Picture by Terry Fisher Photography

Comments (0)

GILLINGHAM Town were left fuming at the referee following their exit from the FA Vase at the hands of Street.

The Dorset visitors had the better of the opening exchanges but it was Street who took the lead after 18 minutes through a long range effort.

On the half hour mark Gillkeeper Jonny Hill dropped a cross and in his attempts to gather the ball, tangled with a Street player. The referee pointed to the spot and showed Hill the red card, to the bemusement of the Gillingham players. Nick Thomson put on the gloves but saw the resulting penalty fly past him to double Street's lead.

Street began to make numbers count in the second half and scored two goals in six minutes to put the result beyond doubt. With eight minutes left, the referee again pointed to the spot after a Jack Vallis foul and Thomson was again beaten to make it 5-0. Substitute Lee Gale then received two yellow cards in six minutes, forcing Gillingham to finish the match with nine men.

Gills' manager Adrian Foster found it difficult to contain his frustration at the officiating and believed that it spoiled the cup tie.

He said: "I cannot really explain it but the referee really was not on this planet. It does not help when the ref sends your keeper off – it was probably a penalty but where he got the red card from I do not know. It ruined the game really.

"Sending Lee off as well, who barely makes a tackle anyway and has not had a yellow card all season, it just went from bad to worse. I am disappointed in how it panned out and how the result centred around the referee."

Read more from Western Gazette

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters