Login Register

Sherborne Town manager hopes league focus will bring dedication

By Western Gazette - North Dorset  |  Posted: November 22, 2012

Comments (0)

JAMIE Manley is hoping to see greater commitment from his Sherborne Town players now their sole focus is climbing Toolstation Western League Division One.

The Raleigh Grove outfit crashed out of the FA Vase at the Second Round stage on Saturday as visiting St Blazey cruised to a 4-1 win.

Next Tuesday's trip to ambitious Premier Division club Gillingham Town in the Dorset Senior Cup now represents Sherborne's only distraction from a Division One campaign that has also been disrupted by the Les Phillips and FA Cups.

They host Portishead Town on Saturday in just their 12 Western League outing of the campaign, with rivals having played anything up to seven games more.

Manley backed his team to bounce back strongly and wants selection woes to become a worry of the past.

"It has not been playing in different competitions that has been difficult, but the playing side with the lads," said the former defender.

"We have had some players that have had to work on weekends and some have been ill. It has been a tricky time of the last few weeks and it has been hard work to get players in, especially a keeper. Hopefully now the lads will show a bit more commitment, work hard and hopefully we will start pushing up the league."

Garfield Charles become the fourth stopper to don the gloves for Sherborne on Saturday, with both Ashley Knibbs and Marc Lock injured and Matt Cafer back with Yeovil Town.

However, Manley said he could see light at the end of the tunnel: "Ashley should be back this week and that will help. Hopefully he can now stay injury free.

"Marc is a few weeks away still. The injuries have been bad with our keepers and we have just got to deal with it. We have got to get on with it and hope for the best at times. We will be alright and will be back fighting, I'm sure."

Although disappointed with defeat at the weekend, Manley expressed pride in his side's second half performance.

"When Nick Jacobs was sent off it knocked us and we couldn't deal with their big lad (former Plymouth Argyle youngster Lewis Coombes) up front.

"I thought the second half performance was tremendous but when you are playing ten versus 11 it is always hard.

"We have got through a few rounds, got the club some money but now we can focus on the league. We were the only Division One team left in it, whjch was great from our point of view."

TINTINHULL battled from behind to beat Parley Sports 2-1 in the Magna Dorset Premier League. The Poole hosts took just two minutes to take the lead, netting from a free kick on the edge of the area.

However, Adam Clements levelled 20 minutes later before Aaron Sheard ended a period of end-to-end play after the break with a powerful 70th minute header. Tempers flared as Parley fought for a leveller of their own but were denied a share of the points as Gerry Pearson's men dug in.

Read more from Western Gazette

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters